2 cups corn meal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tbsp granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 cups milk
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1 tsp minced fresh herbs / hot sauce (optional)
2 cups Black Diamond Premium 2 Year Aged or Grand Reserve 3 Year Aged Cheddar, crumbled
Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
TIPS:To make ahead, prepare and store at room temperature for up to 1 hour, or in refrigerator if longer. Reheat in 350°F oven for approximately 8-10 minutes, or until hot.
If desired, serve with caramelized onion chutney, or your favorite dipping sauce.
- In a large bowl, combine corn meal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- In a medium bowl, combine milk, eggs, green onions, herbs, and hot sauce, if desired.
- Stir into corn meal mixture.
- Let stand 5 minutes for batter to thicken slightly.
- Fold in cheese.
- Heat oil (about 4-inches deep) to 350°F in deep fryer, or in a deep saucepan.
- Drop spoonfuls of batter into hot oil, a few at a time.
- Cook 3-4 minutes, turning frequently, until floating and lightly golden.
- Transfer onto paper towels.
- Repeat until all batter has been used up. Serve warm.