1 tbsp active dry yeast
½ cup Beatrice milk, warm
2 tbsp honey
5 ¼ cups bread flour, divided
5 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp sea salt
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 egg yolk, beaten
1-1/2 cups grated Black Diamond Premium Reserve 2 Year Aged Cheddar cheese
1 apple, grated
TIP: For authentic look use the small 3-1/2 inch brioche pans.
- In bowl of a large heavy duty mixer fitted with dough hook, mix together yeast, milk, honey and 1-1/4 cups bread flour.
- Beat at medium speed for two minutes until mixture is smooth.
- Add eggs gradually with sugar and salt.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add most of the remaining flour kneading for 10 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Gradually beat in butter adding reserved flour if dough gets sticky.
- Knead for another 5 minutes.
- Dough should have a shiny appearance and not stick to sides of bowl.
- Place in large plastic bag and let dough double in size at room temperature; about 2 hours.
- Punch down dough, kneading lightly; return to plastic bag and refrigerate for 3 hours.
- Punch down dough again and knead in Black Diamond Cheddar Cheese and apples.
- Divide the dough into 18 pieces.
- Pinch off a quarter of each piece of dough and shape both the large and small pieces into balls.
- Set the large ball into a lined muffin pan; press the center down to form a deep hollow; and set the smaller ball inside it.
- Repeat with remaining dough pieces.
- Allow brioche to prove until almost doubled in size, about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Pre-heat oven to 400°F; Whisk egg yolk with 1 tbsp water; brush brioches with the egg wash.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Place muffin pans on cooling rack; allow brioches to cool for 10 minutes before removing from muffin pans.