1/4 cup salted butter
3 cups onions, quartered and thinly sliced
1-1/2 cup water
4-1/2 tsp chicken broth mix
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1-3/4 cup milk
1-1/2 cup Black Diamond 2 Year Aged Cheddar grated
Salt & pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Sauté onions over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- Stir in water and broth mix, and bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Smoothly combine flour and milk, and add to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Remove from heat.
- Add 3⁄4 cup cheese, stir until melted.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into 4 oven-proof soup bowls, sprinkle with buttered croutons, and top with remaining cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted. Don’t let cheese burn or brown.