2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp all purpose flour
1 cup 2% milk
1 1/2 cups Black Diamond Grand Reserve 3 Year Aged Cheddar cheese
Pinch cayenne pepper
Pinch sea salt and freshly ground pepper
Clove garlic, minced
1 ½ cups leeks, chopped into ¼” circles, washed
1 tsp freshly chopped thyme
6 oz raw medium shrimps, peeled and deveined
4 oz raw medium sized sea scallops
¼ cup lightly seasoned croutons
- Place four 4 1/2” shallow ramekins on a baking tray.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk in the flour cooking gently for a minute until the mixture is fragrant and very pale golden.
- Pour in the milk, a little at a time, whisking constantly to avoid lumps. The sauce will slowly thicken and cook in 3 or 4 minutes.
- Reserve 2 Tbsp of the shredded cheddar. Stir the rest of the cheddar, cayenne, salt and pepper into the sauce, stirring until the cheese melts and the sauce is smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Heat a small sauté pan over medium heat.
- Pour in a small drizzle of olive oil and cook the garlic stirring for a minute until just beginning to color.
- Add the leeks and cook until bright green and just softened.
- Ladle a generous spoonful of cheese sauce into each of the four ramekins.
- Spoon in the cooked leeks, thyme, shrimp and scallops. Spoon over the remaining cheese sauce.
- Top each with a sprinkle of the croutons and the reserved 2 Tbsp cheddar.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes until the gratins are bubbling and golden and the seafood is cooked through.